Thursday 3 December 2015

How consuming anxiety can be and some tools to HELP YOU move forward....

As you’ve probably guessed from recent posts, I’ve been suffering some pretty big anxiety and stress over everything from work, wedding planning, guilt for not spending enough time with those close to me, afraid that I am not making a good impression on those who I admire and even little things such as a meet-up with someone, what I’m having for lunch or dinner and which form of exercise to do each day!
Image result for anxiety quotes
Recently I have been speaking to an amazing ‘sound wall’ of a Psychologist – and I urge you to be open to sharing your emotions or worries with someone other than your immediate friends and family; it’s great because they hold no prior judgement or have no emotional investment in you.
After a few weeks of ‘chat’s with him, we’ve been trying to address the core causes of my anxieties, what triggers the severe kind and how to prevent it from taking over things I do in the future. It turns out that alongside my somewhat ‘perfectionist’ and people pleasing personality, I like to have control and know exactly what is happening, when and how to react to it if need be. It may sound silly when spoken out loud, but my subconscious had taken such hold of my inner thoughts that every action, every thought or every idea was taken to the ‘inner judge’ in me. Over the years, I hadn’t learnt how to deal with things when they had gone wrong to be able to know within myself that if things DO go wrong that I would be able to deal with it.

From a super loving, caring and happy childhood filled with so much love from my parents, family, a few close friends and being around my two younger siblings – there is no obvious reason for me to feel anxious. However, as a coping mechanism for dealing with things that I am unsure about, I had learnt to avoid the situation, plan meticulously around how to be best prepared for it (I remember crying over going away with friends to what should have been an adventurous trip away to the snow, or camping and rafting along the Snowy River – worried that I had not packed everything, had not thought of everything that might happen or even over-thinking all of the possible negative things that could go wrong instead of even considering the awesome things that come alongside weekends away with friends). Looking back – almost ALL of those scenarios left me feeling so lucky to have experienced it (I know first-hand from teaching disrupted families, poor families and families that have no interest in each other’s being that there  are very FEW people who will EVER experience many of them) and they are memories that will remain dear to me forever.
Image result for anxiety quotes
To keep things as ‘perfect’ and planned EACH day was vital for me to remain in a sense of ‘normality’. I would set my alarm for the same time each day to exercise (running or pilates) – which don’t get me wrong, isn’t negative in many ways! I would pack my  lunches and snacks to know exactly what and when I was eating each day. I would have ‘back- up stock’ of every item that I regularly used or consumed to ensure that I wouldn’t be left without it by surprise one day (make-up, perfumes, food, drinks, clothes etc) – which let me tell you can be expensive when you are virtually buying twice as much as most people and in constant ‘on’ mode as soon as you head into the supermarket or shopping centre trying to remember what you ‘may need’. I would NEVER sing aloud in front of people who meant anything to me in case they did not like my voice and didn’t want to remain close to me – silly, I know, particularly with my experience in theatre perfomances in the past!!). I would decline invitations with friends for fear of getting home too late, drinking too much or not being able to wake up fresh to do all of the things I had planned to do the next day.

I have grown to the point where I do not even notice that my negative thought processes take hold or have been using them as a justification for my actions (or in some cases, NON actions when it gets too much) – something had to change or I would be my own worst enemy and self-sabotaging for the rest of my life, something that my family and friends did not deserve.
Writing everything down and speaking openly about something I have kept inside my soul for many years is a start to real change and realising how much this ‘small anxiety’ has taken over many parts of my life.
I thought I would share with you an exercise I have started to use to ‘tone down’ this anxiety (it actually works and is such a powerful and empowering exercise for anyone!):
Image result for anxiety quotes
Behavioural Experiment – Start by ‘testing’ your subconscious beliefs about the negative things that could potentially happen. The interesting thing is – MOST if not ALLL of your predictions or thoughts on something are not even validated!

1)      Predictions – What is your prediction of the event that is worrying you?
 What do you expect to happen?
How would you know if it came true?
E.g If I speak in public, I will shake so much that people will notice and laugh at me. (Rate this in percentage how strongly you believe this will happen).
2)      Experiment – What experiment could test this prediction? (Where and when),
What safety behaviors will need to be dropped?
How would you know whether your prediction had come true?
E.g Speak up at the next meeting on Monday (I could present some of the data that I have been meaning to show). I would need to gesture with my hands, and not hold on to the table. I could ask friends if they noticed my hands shaking when I talk.
3) Outcome – What happened?
Was your prediction accurate?
E.g I was really nervous and very aware of my hands. My friends said I spoke well and they could not see me shake.
4) Learning – What did you learn?
How likely is it that your predictions will happen in the future? (Rate how strongly you agree with your initial prediction now in percentage).
E.g Although I feel nervous when speaking, it is not as obvious to others at it is me.
 Image result for anxiety quotes
Now – go and test it out!!! Think of a few things that are worrying you, or that you notice that you are acting perhaps out of character, things that give you butterflies or cause your shoulders and face to stiffen up.

The key to this exercise is to do it as often as you can. The more you can ‘prove’ to yourself that things are okay, and more than just ‘your joining of the dots’ of what MIGHT happen in various scenarios, the less anxious you will be. Your self-efficacy and confidence will grow and as a result – you’ll be more motivated and willing to try new challenges.


Who knows – those goals and visions you only dreamed of could be much closer than you realise if only you took some time to focus on your inner thoughts and reactions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment