Sunday 6 October 2013

Tomorrow will be better..... :-)

After speaking to friends and family recently, I am still amazed at the amount of pessimism and pressure we, as a society generally put on ourselves to be 'perfect' in everything we do.
It's worrying to think that we somehow have developed an attitude that makes us believe that if we are not doing something productive, achieving something great or having a perfectly happy day, then something is wrong. We have in a sense grown an attitude that says 'we are weak' or 'not good enough' if we are not excelling at something every day.

I know that I am guilty of this, and often it can be a real battle to reassure myself that because I have had a 'rough' couple of days, it doesn't mean my world is crashing down. Believe it or not, the next day or so, I am feeling back on top of the world, satisfied and happy with life.
The point that I am trying to make is that we need to accept ourselves, our interests, our goals and the things that make us happy as individuals without listening to the little voice in the back of our heads that society has embedded into us.

We are all human. We are each different, and to have a bad day is quite normal.
undefinedNext time you are feeling down on yourself or putting unnecessary pressure on yourself to 'achieve', just think about the negative effects these thoughts have on your body and mind.

I have many friends who are constantly tired, feeling flat, feeling a sense of not being good enough, or seen to be 'weak' if they are not performing to an incredibly high standard at work, home, on the sporting field or in their friendship circles.

Growing up, I went through years of Eating disorders, depression, anxiety and stress which each stemmed off the extreme amount of pressure I put on myself to be perfect. One thing that I have learnt over the years is that there is no such thing as perfect, and if you don't partake in the things that make you happy, then you are setting yourself up to a recipe for disaster, physical and mental illness, and eventual burnout.

I pose to you a challenge.
 To look back at what makes you happy, and to take a big breath at the end of a 'bad' day, saying to yourself, that tomorrow is going to be amazing and I am going to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment