Wednesday 6 November 2013

Life on track after travel...... :-)

Although it's been five months since I have returned from my overseas adventure, I didn't realise the effect that it would have on my life so far on.
Of course, the sight-seeing, the friendships made, the once in a life-time experiences and the immersion amongst many different cultures was amazing, and something I would recommend to everyone!! However, the process of getting back into a routine with consistent full time work, as well as having an over-sized handful of epiphanies about new career paths or new business ventures has been more difficult than I first envisaged.
Over the past few months, I have questioned myself, my interests, my desires, my goals, my strengths, weakness' as well as challenging myself to step outside of my usual normal routine to step into a 'new life'. And yes - this can be an enriching learning curve, one of which has ultimately pointed us  on the right direction.
However, at the same time, and I'm sure for many 'post-travellers' they feel the same - a sense of being lost in a big world where routine, connectedness and purpose are the centre-pieces for an adult life.

The first few weeks apon arriving home from overseas, I think I caught up with more people than I had seen even before I went away. It made me appreciate the friendships I did have and want to re-kindle those long-lost soul mates who made us all who we are today. You are the happiest you have been in months! However, after all the fun and fanfare resides - you realise that everyone falls back into their own lives while you are left with no job or sense of direction!!

So how can we get ourselves 'going' and start to set things up again to live that life we dreamt about, to have that second chance to start again and try something new?

- One of the first things is to set yourself up in a routine. I felt, (and still feel!) more lost when I had no real purpose, no set time to wake up or go to sleep, no real jobs to do each day. So, choose a time to set your alarm to each morning - get up, go for a run, hit the gym or have a refreshing summer early morning swim. It's funny how a simple act of routine or an accomplishment can change the outlook of your day!
- Brainstorm your interests, your strengths, your weakness' and come up with a list of traits which make you who you are. Use these traits to research possible career paths (or if you're really keen - decide which kind of small business that inner entrepreneur wants to 'dabble in'!).

- Seek the help and support of friends and family to remind you that you are not lost at all. They will always be here, you have a million amazing things about you that were there before you left for overseas. Believe it or not, they are still there and will continue to be there for the rest of your life. You are who you are; every brilliant piece!!

-  Expect to have some 'bad' days where you are not feeling your best. But also remember, that those bad days are ALWAYS followed by some great days! I cannot count the amount of times that has happened to me. It's a great comfort to know that there are always positive days to take you away from focussing on the negative. Life works in funny ways!

- Use the spare time to try out a few different casual jobs to see what does interest you. It's a great time to not feel the pressure of having to stay with a job you like - and be able to leave whenever you change your mind about what exactly it is you ant to do. It doesn't mean you will be working in short term , casual roles for the rest of your life - but rather using the near future to get a feel for the types of industry that interest you.

undefined- One thing you do learn about being overseas, is that yes - you do only live once. Make a point each week to do something 'different' and daring the keep that level of excitement still alive! Make a trip down to the beach, plan a bush hike with a group of friends, go an see that concert you've always wanted to see, organise that Mexican dinner and drinks night. Keep giving yourself things to keep you going and feeding on life, and to stop you focussing on getting back to 'the daily grind' as quick as you can.

At the end of the day - you will end up being where you want to be, doing the things you want to do. Those first few months home are always the hardest and it does take some strength to keep you pointing in a positive direction, or even remaining in a positive mindset! But you will get back to having 'your awesome life' back, which is often more awesome than it was before because you've travelled and grown as a person who has so many life-long memories and experiences locked away forever!

Round two of life - here you come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment